Learn which connection style works best for you!
MEATER gives you the ability to monitor the heat of your cook from practically anywhere.
Check out our breakdown of each wireless connection type, so that you can be sure to use the method that works best for your cooking setup!
The simplest method of connecting your smart device to your MEATER probe is via Bluetooth. Typically, Bluetooth devices have a wireless range of approximately 30 feet (10 meters).
- Simple setup – With Bluetooth compatibility, you can pair a MEATER probe with your smart device of choice in just a few button presses. Find out how to do so here!
- Standard for wireless products – Bluetooth Low Energy is a widely adopted wireless protocol, so almost all smart devices made in the past five years will be able to connect to MEATER.
- Self-contained – When using Bluetooth, no additional routers or hot spots are necessary to connect your device.
Ideal use: Indoor Cooking – Like your Bluetooth headset or speakers, your wireless range can be limited by the material and number of walls the Bluetooth RF signal needs to travel through. For example, bulky kettle-style grills and smokers with metal enclosures can limit your device’s Bluetooth range. When used indoors with a standard kitchen oven, the probe’s Bluetooth signal will be able to escape through the glass window on the front of the oven, allowing for normal range.
If you’ve reached the limits of your MEATER’s Bluetooth signal radius, then it’s time for you to boost your range over WiFi using MEATER Link.
MEATER Link is a FREE service that transmits your cook data via WiFi, allowing you to monitor your progress from anywhere within range of your home’s WiFi network. To use MEATER Link, all you need is a second smart device (or a MEATER Block) and access to a WiFi network.
- Increased range – WiFi presents a larger potential signal radius than Bluetooth, with ranges that could easily exceed 100 feet (30 meters).
- Indoor/Outdoor – Your cook data is available from anywhere within your WiFi network. Throw a steak on the grill out back, then feel free to walk inside. As long as your phone can still connect to WiFi, you’ll be able to track your cook from any place in your house!
- Free Service – MEATER Link is a totally free service that is already built into the MEATER app.
- Monitor cooks across multiple devices – Using MEATER Link, any smart devices connected to your home WiFi network can access your cook data in tandem. Now all your family members can check in on your barbecue remotely.
Ideal Use: Barbecues, grilling in the backyard, long roasts – If you’re planning on cooking outdoors, but don’t want to spend the entire day sitting by your grill, then MEATER Link is for you! With MEATER Link, you’ll be able to check in on your cook from anywhere in your house, making it ideal for indoor/outdoor cooks. Just place a smart device or MEATER Block (acting as the Bluetooth to WiFi bridge) close to the grill, then walk freely inside.
For complete peace of mind, never worry about your wireless range again by enabling MEATER Cloud.
The MEATER Cloud service allows you to view your cook data from any place that your smart device can connect to the Internet (using mobile data or WiFi). MEATER Cloud requires you to have MEATER Link and a working Internet connection.
- Infinite range – With MEATER Cloud, you can use a smart device capable of accessing the Internet to check in on your cook. This allows you to take your dog for a walk, or even run to the store if you forgot an ingredient during a long roast.
- Cook data stored online – All your cook data is stored on the secure MEATER Cloud server. You can review the results of past cooks at any time, even if you switch smart devices.
- Opens the door for future features – MEATER Cloud will be used to enable a variety of upcoming MEATER features, such as a web-based portal where you can monitor your cooks, and home automation connectivity.
Ideal use: Cooks who don’t want to worry about wireless range – If you’re already cooking with MEATER Link, make sure that you also have MEATER Cloud enabled to get the most out of your device.
To set up MEATER Cloud, navigate to the settings page of the MEATER app, then select “Sign Into MEATER Cloud.” From there, you’ll be prompted to log in with an existing social media or meater.com account, or alternatively to create a new account.
WARNING: With infinite range comes infinite responsibility! For this reason, we do not recommend leaving a cook completely unattended. If you have to leave your cook, make sure that there’s someone nearby who could lend a hand in the event of an emergency situation.
If you’ve set up both MEATER Link and MEATER Cloud, you’ll be able to switch between services seamlessly, even during an active cook! No matter how far you roam, MEATER will make sure that you always have one eye on your cook.
Now that you know the benefits of each service, check out these related posts: