Friends don’t let friends eat plain steak. That being said, we’re going to show you how to spice things up with roasted tomato chimichurri. Out with the green, in with the orange. Let’s get lost in the sauce together. 😍
- 1.5 lb tri-tip
- 1 cup of heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small shallot
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup of cilantro
- 5 tbsp. of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- MEATER Plus
- Smoker or oven
- Oven safe dish
- Baking sheet
- Large skillet
- Blender or processor
- 133°F – Juicy medium rare
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 1.5 hours
- 4-5 hungry mouths
1. First things first, preheat your smoker to 400°F. Then, grab an oven safe dish and toss the tomatoes in along with 1.5 tbsp. of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place the dish into the smoker for 20 minutes or until blistered.
2. Once the tomatoes are blistered, remove them from heat, and set them aside. Reduce the smoker temperature to 300°F, grab the tri-tip, and pat it dry with a paper towel. Once you’ve sucked out all the moisture out of the tri-tip, season to your liking with salt and pepper.
3. Next, insert the probe into the center of the thickest part of the meat and set up the cook in the app. We recommend a target internal temperature of 133°F so that the meat will be juicy-juicy. Once the cook is set up, place the tri-tip into the smoker and relax. MEATER will tell you when to remove from heat.
4. While the tri-tip is getting a nice tan, it’s chimi-chimi time. Grab a blender or food processor and add in the roasted tomatoes, garlic, shallot, cilantro, olive oil (2 ½ tbsp), red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pulse the blender 3-5 times, you should achieve a smooth, chunky consistency.
5. Once you get an alert to remove the tri-tip from heat, take it out and let it rest until the internal temperature goes down about 15°F, then remove the probe.
6. Now, it’s time to get SEARious. On a large skillet, heat up 1 tbsp. of oil and sear the tri-tip for about 1 minute per side, or until you are satisfied with the crust.
7. Rest the sizzling hot tri-tip on a wooden cutting board or resting rack, and wait about 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve the meat with the roasted tomato chimichurri sauce and ta-daaaa! Enjoy!