Impress your friends and family with this simple ham recipe showcased by the first Finnish MasterChef, Joonas Hämäläinen. Check out his website for more: ruokamies.fi.
- Let the ham warm to room temperature before cooking. Ideally, the internal temperature of the meat should be 50° F (10° C) or above before cooking.
2. Insert MEATER into the thickest part of the ham and set up your cook on the MEATER app. Select Pork, Ham and a target temperature. My recommendation is 185° F (85° C).
3. Cook the ham in the oven at 250° F (120° C). We’re doing a low-and-slow cook to achieve a juicy and very tender result. Also add 100 ml of water to the oven tray to keep the oven humid.
4. Start the cook on the MEATER app.
5. You can monitor the cooking progress and time remaining on the MEATER app. You can also use MEATER Link to extend your wireless range over WiFi so you can monitor the cook from any where in your home. Check out how to do it here.
6. The MEATER app will alert you to “Remove From Heat” so you can rest it on the table. The alert is triggered early in order to let “carry-over” cooking to occur and reach the final target temperature during the resting phase.
7. Wait for the meat to rest and let the MEATER app notify you when it is “Ready”.
8. Add a delicious crust using Dijon mustard, breadcrumbs and cloves. First peel away the skin and remove most of the fat (you can leave a little bit for more flavor). Cover the ham with mustard, then add breadcrumbs and cloves. Toast it in the oven at 480° F (250° C) for 15 minutes to finish the crust.
9. Carve, serve and enjoy! Master Tip: you can chill the rest in the refrigerator and enjoy it as cold cuts.