Chicken and rice is an all-time classic, but we bet you’ve never had it like this before. Our black silkie chicken with black rice is the perfect spooky twist to a simple recipe. Top that off with the fall flavors of the chimichurri and you’ve got yourself a meal that everyone will be talking about!
- Original MEATER
- Smoker or oven
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Rice cooker
- Small bowl
- Butchers twine
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 1 hr 50 mins
- 165°F (74°C)
- 3 lbs Black Silkie Chicken (find this at your local Asian market)
- Meat Church All Purpose Rub
Pumpkin Black Rice
- 2 cups black rice
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups pumpkin, diced
Bell Pepper Chimichurri
- 2 cups roasted orange peppers, chopped
- ½ cup packed fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar or more for tanginess
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled & chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 fresh lemon, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup high quality olive oil
1. Start off by setting your grill or oven to 300°F (149°C) and preheat.
2. While that’s preheating, pack the flavor on your chicken with the rub. Make sure you get it in all the nooks and crannies. Don’t forget to season the cavity! Tie the legs together and it’s ready for the probe.
3. Insert the probe into the breast and set up your cook in the MEATER app. Place the chicken directly on the grill grates or in the oven and cook until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
4. In the meantime, you can cook your black rice. Grab your rice cooker and add your rice to the water seasoned with garlic powder, chicken bouillon, and salt & pepper. Let it cook for about 60 mins.
5. While your rice is cooking, dice the pumpkin in half inch cubes and roast it in a pan until it’s soft and tender. After your rice is done cooking, gently fold in the pumpkin trying not to smash it.
6. This is where you get started on the chimi-chimi-churri! Add your roasted bell peppers to a blender with red wine vinegar and blend until smooth and silky.
7. Grab a small bowl and add in all your chimichurri ingredients, leaving out the olive oil. Add in your pepper pureé and give it a good mix. Then, mix in your olive oil and hit it with some S&P.
8. When your MEATER app notifies you that your cook is done, pull it out of the oven or grill and let it rest. MEATER will let you know when your chicken is well rested and ready to be carved.
9. Finally, the best part, plating! Plate your chicken and black rice and pour some of that flavorful chimichurri all over the chicken. Savor every bite!