Everyone loves steak and butter, it’s an iconic duo. Could you imagine the flavor of steak with chipotle.lime.cilantro.butter?! It’s perfectly spiced, tangy, fresh, and mouthgasmic. If you love butter, you’ve got to try this recipe.
- MEATER Plus
- Smoker or oven
- Saran wrap
- Prep – 15 minutes
- Cook – 90 minutes
- 135°F – We prefer medium rare if you couldn’t tell 😉
- Tomahawk (2-3 lbs.)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 chipotle peppers, minced
- 1 tsp. adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp. cilantro, minced
- 1 lime, zested
- ½ lime, juiced
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
1. Most important step: preheat your smoker to 300°F. Forgetting this step means waiting longer, which means being hungry for longer! We don’t want that.
2. Grab a bowl and mix together the softened butter, minced peppers, adobo sauce, cilantro, lime juice and zest, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix, mix, mix until fully combined.
3. Roll the compound butter into a tight log, then place in the center of a sheet of saran wrap. Place the delicious-looking butter in the fridge and let it harden.
4. Now it’s steak time! Generously season the tomahawk with salt and pepper. Then grab your MEATER Plus and probe the center of the thickest part of the steak. Set up the cook in the app with a target internal temperature of 135°F. This will give you a juicy, medium-rare finish even after reverse searing! Once setup is complete, place the steak in the smoker and let MEATER work its magic.
5. Once MEATER notifies you to remove from heat, place the steak on a wooden cutting board or resting rack. Let the internal temperature fall about 10°F before reverse searing.
6. Once the steak’s internal temperature has decreased to 125°F, sear the tomahawk on a 🔥 HOT 🔥 oiled pan for about 1 minute on each side. By th end, you should have a nicccceeeely crusted steak.
7. We know it looks good to eat already, but you haven’t even gotten to the best part: the butter. Place the tomahawk on a plate with a ½ inch slice of the chipotle butter on top. Spread the melted butter over the steak and slice. Garnish with finishing salt and extra cilantro.
8. Voilà, it’s time to dig in!