Impress your significant other this Valentine’s Day with a delicious and intimate dinner at home. With this mouth-watering steak and rich sauce, you’re about to become your sweetheart’s favorite cook. Celebrate your love with this delectable dish. ❤️🥩
- MEATER Plus or MEATER Block
- Smoker or oven
- Large cast iron pan
- Prep – 25 minutes
- Cook – 25 minutes (May vary depending on steak size)
- 145°F – Perfect medium (or to your liking)
- 2 boneless ribeye steaks
- 2 ½ teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons Maldon salt
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup crushed freeze dried strawberries
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or other neutral cooking oil
- ¼ cup chopped shallot
- 1 ½ teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) dry red wine
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley for garnish
1. It’s time to prep for date night! set your smoker to 325°F, low but not too slow. Then stir together cocoa powder, salt, sugar, paprika, cumin, chile powder, and cayenne in a small bowl. Generously season 1 1/2 tablesoons of the seasoning on both ribeyes. Let those pretty steaks marinate for at least 20 minutes.
2. Grab your MEATER Plus and probe the center of the thickest part of the protein. Set up the cook in the app with a target internal temperature of 145°F or your preferred doneness. Once setup is complete, place the steaks in the smoker and let MEATER work its magic.
3. Once MEATER notifies you to remove from heat, let the steaks rest on a wooden cutting board. Reverse-sear time! While the steaks are resting, heat oil in a large skillet on med-high. You’ll know the oil is hot enough when it starts rippling and is almost smoking. Now, make sure the steaks have dropped about 10° because searing will bring the internal temp back up. When ready, add the steaks to the hot pan! Sear all sides of both steaks for about 30 seconds each.
4. Remove the steaks from the pan and add butter, shallots, 1 tablespoon of cocoa spice mixture, flour, red wine, and broth whisking constantly. Let this mixture come to a boil over medium heat until thickened (should take 1 to 2 minutes). The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon without dripping immediately. Once you get that, remove the skillet from heat; add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Almost done! Crush the freeze dried strawberries, then slice and arrange the steaks nicely on a plate. You want to impress your date, so plate nicely! Spoon the sauce over the steaks to your heart’s desire, top with the crushed strawberries, and garnish with chopped parsely.
6. That’s it! Set up a romantic dinner table for that special someone, pour up a glass of red wine, turn on that 90’s R&B baby-making music, and steal their heart. ❤️🥩