Who says tacos are only for Tuesdays? This fish taco recipe can be enjoyed every single day of the year if you want. It’s got the perfect mix of smoky tilapia, creamy sauce, and some heat. This is one for the books. Just one bite and you’re hooked! The secret? It’s the sauce. 🤫
- MEATER Block
- Oven or smoker
- Baking sheet pan
- Prep – 10 minutes
- Cook – 55 minutes
- 127°F – Tender, but firm and flaky 🐟
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 3 tbsp blackened seasoning
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Roasted Jalapeño Pineapple Crema
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 cup cilantro, leaves, and stems
- 1 ½ cup pineapple, diced
- 4 jalapeños
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pickled purple cabbage, shredded
- Cilantro, chopped
- Avocado, sliced
- Corn tortillas
1. Time to make the best summer meal everrr! Let’s dive in. Preheat your smoker to 400°F. While that’s heating up, toss the diced pineapples and whole jalapeños on a small baking sheet pan. Then, drizzle on some oil, salt, and pepper. Roast this for 25 minutes, the jalapeños should be blistered by then!
2. Once the pineapples and jalapeños are roasted, carefully remove the seeds from the jalapeños. If you’re a fan of spicy food and can handle the heat, you can leave the seeds in! 🔥 Grab a blender and toss in the pineapple, jalapeño, sour cream, mayo, lime zest and juice, cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth, give it a little taste test, and set aside in the refrigerator.
3. It’s tilapia time! Decrease the smoker temperature to 375°F. In a small bowl, combine olive oil and blackened seasoning. Then, season the tilapia fillets with salt and pepper, and brush the spice mixture on both sides of each fillet. Make sure to get every nook and cranny!
4. Insert one probe into the center of the thickest part of each fish. Then, set up the cook on the app with a target internal temperature of 127°F. Place the fillets in the smoker until MEATER notifies you to remove them from the heat! 🔥
5. Once the fish is out of the smoker, let them rest on a rack. While the fish rests, heat up the corn tortillas. True experts flip tortillas with their hands, but BE CAREFUL… or use tongs. Either way, you’re an expert to us. 😉
6. When the app notifies you resting is complete, it’s time to assemble the tacos! Place the corn tortillas on a plate, spread a spoonful of jalapeño crema on the tortilla, place tilapia on top of the sauce, and garnish with cabbage, cilantro, avocado… and maybe more sauce because it’s freaking good! And don’t forget a squeeze of lime. 😉 Now chow down!