We know what you’re thinking. “How can it be almost Thanksgiving already?” While the holidays always have a way of creeping up on you, we’ve got you covered! Check out the video below for a turkey recipe so good, you’ll have to rub it in the faces of your loved ones.
Before you start, make sure your MEATER Plus probe is clean and fully charged before starting a cook! After cooking, always clean your probe, especially the ambient tip where residue from previous cooks can build up. To check the battery level of the probe before beginning a cook:
- Connect to your MEATER via the app.
- Tap the ellipsis in the top right corner of the app Dashboard.
- Select ‘My Connections,’ and find the probe in the ‘My Paired Probes’ section.
- When you tap on it, you will be able to see the battery level of your probe on the ‘MEATER Probe Information’ bar.
- Rub your turkey with salt, and place it uncovered in the fridge to dry brine overnight, or for a few days if possible. This will break down tough muscle proteins in the turkey to make the meat more tender and juicy, while also drying out the skin for maximum crispiness.
- When you’re ready to cook, rub the turkey with unsalted butter and just a pinch of additional salt. If you’re using salted butter, you can skip the extra salt, unless you just really like salty turkey. We won’t judge.
- Stuff the turkey with a halved lemon and your favorite herbs on the stem. Lemon pairs well with most herbs you’ll find in your kitchen, but either rosemary or tarragon will work particularly well. If you’d like a flavorful blend, basil, oregano, and thyme make a classic combination that will complement the citrus flavor.
- Traditionally, the turkey is trussed, meaning the legs are tied together. However, this is purely for presentation, and it can prevent heat from getting to all parts of the turkey. You can do this if you want to feel fancy, but for a more evenly-cooked bird, we recommend letting those legs run free.
- Insert your MEATER probe in the thickest part of the breast, set up your cook in the MEATER app, pop the turkey in the oven, then go grab a snack or a beverage for your hard work! For the juiciest results, we suggest cooking low and slow at 275°F (135°C), then setting an alert in your MEATER app for 20-30 minutes before the end of the cook so you can crank up the heat to 500°F (260°C) and crisp up the skin.
- Spend the next few hours however you see fit. Kick back for a while, or prepare your side dishes without having to constantly check on the bird.
- When the MEATER app gives you the alert, remove your turkey from the oven and let it rest uncovered on a cutting board.
- Carve and plate that beautiful bird, and post your perfect presentation to social media using the hashtag #MEATERmade. Or just eat that bad boy right off the bone. We won’t tell you how to live your life. (Though you should still post to social media so that your followers can witness the carnage.)
No matter how many Thanksgiving turkey’s you’ve made, MEATER is here to help you ease your turkey anxiety and make you wonder why you’ve been eating dry meat before MEATER came along.