NY Steak with Cherry & Rosé Wine Gastrique Sauce
Moms work hard. They deserve something much more special than a card and a bathrobe (let’s be real, they don’t even want the robe). So make the mom in your life a meal that’s fit for a queen. Cooking a meal is a gift from the heart and it’ll be better than any restaurant. But don’t sweat it, MEATER is here to help!
Cook her NY steak over low heat (250F) and then reverse sear it for that signature crust. The Smart Wireless Meat Thermometer will let you know when it’s cooked just the way she likes it.
If the steak wasn’t amazing on its own, you’ll look like a pro chef with this “gastrique” wine and cherry sauce. It’s a classic French technique but it’s made with very common pantry ingredients. So needless to say, she will be impressed. It can easily be changed to her taste and it’s not so much about a precise recipe as it is about ratios. If she fancies it sweeter or more sour, change it up by adding more sugar or more cherries.
How to Prepare the Cherry & Rosé Wine Sauce
- 1 peeled shallot, finely minced (use 1/4 of a medium onion if you don’t have shallots)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup halved fresh (or frozen) cherries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 pinch of Spiceology Flake Sea Salt
- 4-5 sprigs of thyme, de-stemmed for garnish
- 3 tbsp rosé wine
- 3 tbsp light neutral vinegar (white, cider, or sherry vinegar)
- Sauté the shallots in the butter on medium low heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the cherries and cook until they soften and slightly melt into the sauce, about 5 minutes.
- Simply add the rest of the ingredients, making sure to stir over medium low heat until the sugar dissolves and it’s well combined. Continue cooking to reduce the mixture to ⅓ of the original amount (about 5-7 minutes). It should be syrupy and coat the back of a spoon, and the raw wine flavor should be cooked out. Feel free to adjust how thick or thin you’d like the sauce. Season to taste.
- Top the steak with this beautiful sauce, sprinkle with flaky sea salt and fresh thyme. The lucky mom that gets to eat this meal will feel extra loved and special. So roll up your sleeves and get cooking!